I tried this Peruvian roast chicken in green sauce recipe for the first time last week, and I can’t stop eating it! It’s not just the chicken either, it’s the sauce. I loooove the sauce. I made enough to have extra, and I’ve been putting it on everything. It’s tangy, spicy, garlicky, and just spectacular. And the chicken is lip-smackingly good too!
There are two stages to this recipe, which I adapted from Epicurious, but since we’re only making it for one person (instead of a whole chicken) we can cut some steps and speed everything up. The reviews on the original commented that it was a lot of work (but worth the trouble). But, my way, it isn’t a lot of bother at all. There’s a lot less to chop and a single chicken thigh cooks a lot faster than a whole bird. You wait less and you don’t have to baste as much either. No need to butterfly/spatchcock one piece of chicken!
First you mix up a spice rub for the chicken and spread it on the meat. While the chicken cooks, you make up the sauce, which is essentially tossing ingredients in a mini chopper or blender and then mixing them together with some mayonnaise. Baste the chicken once and then serve it with the sauce.
The chicken cooks at a higher temperature than usual, so it ends up with crispy skin, while still retaining its juices. Plus, it’s ready in 35-40 minutes instead of an hour and a half.
If you like, you can add a salad of cucumber, avocado, lime, olive oil, and scallions on the side.
Peruvian Roast Chicken with Green Sauce Substitutions and Variations
Unlike the usual changes, this list is largely focused on the sauce, rather than the chicken.
- Try different herbs or combinations of herbs and leafy greens instead of the spinach. You could use basil, coriander (the original recipe), or some sage
- Instead of mayonnaise, try Greek yogurt or lebne
- Serve the sauce over eggs with crusty bread
- Use the sauce as a dip with fresh cut up carrots, tomatoes, bell peppers, and cucumber wedges
- if you don’t have fresh lemon, use dried lemon peel and bottled lemon juice
More Chicken Recipes