It was recently Chinese new year, and I had a craving for spicy sesame noodles. Unfortunately, I didn’t have the “right’ sort of noodles. Most of the sesame noodles recipes use long pasta noodles, usually linguine. I didn’t have linguine, only penne. So, I made do with what I had at hand. Feel free to use either one. It doesn’t matter.
Also, the recipes I found online were either much too sweet, or called for other ingredients I didn’t have. The one from Allrecipes was too sweet and had too much oil. It was also meant to serve eight people, rather than just one person. I found another recipe from The New York Times, but that one called for tahini or peanut butter, which I didn’t have. I did like the idea of including ginger though.
This is really spicy, so if you prefer a milder version, leave out the chili garlic sauce.
Spicy Sesame Noodles Recipe for One Person Substitutions and Variations
- if you don’t have rice vinegar, use white vinegar
- add strips of fresh bell pepper
- add lightly cooked snow peas or broccoli
- if you want a heartier meal, put in some cooked chicken
- add 1 T tahini or peanut butter to the sauce (use the peanut butter to make a peanut butter and cucumber sandwich — yes, really)
More Spicy Recipes