This creole cabbage and sausage recipe is quick and easy to put together. Don’t be intimidated by the ingredients list. The creole seasoning and the mustard are fairly easy to find.
If you can’t find them, or don’t want to buy a whole jar of something for one recipe, it’s pretty easy to make both from ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen.
I’ve linked to recipes for both below. I keep a repurposed jam jar of the creole seasoning in my cupboard so it’s ready when I need it.
I used a spicy chicken sausage here, but you could use andouille sausage or hot Italian sausage if you prefer. Just cook it a bit more, and eliminate (or reduce) the first tablespoon of oil.
Quick Creole Red Cabbage and Sausage
Creole inspired dinner made with spicy mustard, sausage, and cabbage.
- 2 T canola or other neutral oil
- 1 spicy chicken sausage, cut up into slices about half an inch thick
- 1/2 C onion, sliced
- 1/2C red cabbage, sliced
- pinch dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp creole seasoning
- 1/4 C chicken broth
- 1 t creole mustard
- 1/2 tsp red wine vinegar
- Heat one tablespoon of the oil in a small saucepan.
- Add the chicken sausage slices to the pan and cook about two minutes, turning occasionally, so it browns and cooks evenly. Be careful not to overcook it, as the sausage will dry out.
- Remove the sausage from the pan and set aside in a small bowl while you make the rest of the recipe.
- Add remaining oil, the creole seasoning, onion, cabbage, and thyme.
- Saute gently until vegetables start to wilt (about 5 minutes).
- Add the broth, creole mustard, and the vinegar.
- Stir and cook until the sauce thickens, about 2 minutes.
- Return the sausage to the pan. Simmer until the meat is heated through.
- I served this over some leftover rice (I always make extra so I can just zap it when I need it, and have rice in a minute or two).
I used spicy chicken sausage, but you can use andouille sausage if you like.
Here are links to recipes for the creole seasoning and the mustard. Just toss (or mix) ingredients together and you’re done.
Creole Seasoning Recipe
Creole Mustard Recipe
More Sausage and Cabbage Recipes
Lentil Bean Sausage Soup
Pasta with Broccoli, Mushrooms, and Chicken Sausage
Single Serving Asian Chicken Salad with Cabbage Recipe
Small Batch Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls Recipe